Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks


I just finished this one. The main character is a 7-year-old genius, but I would say the book is aimed at an older audience, anywhere from 4th grade through high school. Cadel, the boy genius is sent to a college that appears from the outside to be a normal college but the classes he studies include such topics as embezzellment, computer hacking and infiltration, disguises, poisons, and more. Cadel is taught that evil is relative and the world needs people of his intelect to control it. Despite all he is taught, Cadel is basically a nice kid in a not very nice environment. All around him students are disappearing or getting wacked. There's plenty of action and intrique here, especially in the last part of the book. For me, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars, but I suspect a younger audience would really enjoy it. (submitted by J.S. - librarian)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a good summer read for kids. And how have you not recommended the "survivalist" book to me before? You know I love a good post-apocalyptic read! Cool blog!

LReas21 said...

This book sounds like it would really capture the interest of my grade level. I can already picture students I had this past year who would have loved the story line. I think I'll look into it as a read aloud with the class. It seems to have an engaging plot that students will look forward to hear read aloud each day. Thanks for the great titles.