Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult


My friend, KBD, begged me to read this book so she had someone to talk about it with. I hadn't read anything by this author before, but I am an excellent friend, so I picked it up and read it. It's an adult book, but I think high schoolers would enjoy it as much as adults. It's a great story with excellent characters who are smart and the dialogue didn't annoy me as dialogue so often does. The gist of the story is that a couple, having given birth to a child that is seriously ill, has a second child, who can help the first child survive by providing blood transfusions and other medical necessities. The second child, Anna, is now thirteen and she's had it with being poked and prodded. She's tired of being defined in relation to her sister. She wants it to stop. She wants it to stop even though it may mean the death of her sister. As you can imagine, the parents are not happy, but Anna gets a lawyer and the story begins to play out. I found it quite compelling and thought provoking, as well as entertaining. I would give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5. (submitted by J.S. - librarian)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave a novel by David Balacci wrapped in a brown paper bagged by the front doors of Asa and your oh, so precious cat cups will be returned unharmed.

Anonymous said...

me again...substitute bag instead of bagged....

Anonymous said...

You are asking too much. I'll never be able to get the BalDacci novel in time. Please don't hurt the cat cups.!!1

Anonymous said...

One cup will be destroyed every hour unless I see progress made on my demands....poor little kitty cups

dria said...

Can I say this is one of my favorite books?? And I hate to say, I don't think the movie will do it justice.